Monday, August 25, 2014

Email 08/25/2014 Living on a Volcano


  Well..... How's everyone doing? I'm doing great here living on a side of a volcano.
Haha the other day a member told me that if the volcano explodes all the lava will flow directly into this part of town.... And as if that wasn't bad to hear, my companion had a dream that the volcano exploded and we were evacuated to the nearest church.....
But don't worry.... I'm fine.
  So for the most part this week was kinda slow for all of us. Especially me I think. Its really tough to work in my area in a trio. So as of now I don't have anyone lined up to be baptized. Hopefully the Lord with find a way to put them on my path.
  Here on the volcano its getting a bit more warm. We still have to wear our sweaters but in the mornings we aren't exactly freezing anymore haha. 
  I decided that I'm going to learn Quechua. (the language of the Inca civilization, presently spoken by about 7 million people in Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Chile and Argentina) As of now I only know about 2 words but I'm making progress. It will make it easier to talk to the people here. There are alot of people here who only speak Quechua  or if they speak spanish too, they don't really understand it. 
  Oh wow I almost forgot to tell you about this little tiny old lady that we contacted. She was a tiny thing and was about 90 years old. Everyone in her family is dead so we taught her about the Plan of Salvation and how she can see them again. Then Elder Chub invited her to be baptized and she just started to laugh and hit him with the pamphlet. It was so funny because she just kept saying, "I'm too old." Yeah so I think that might not work out hahah. 
   This week we also had a service project in which we helped the sister missionaries. I had to stand knee deep in freezing mountain water and heave giant buckets of water to the sisters and Elder Chub so that they could soak this guys crops. It took about 2 hours but at the end I couldn't feel my legs and I was eaten alive by mosquitos. Fun stuff. The good thing was that the guy gave us hot soup after. They always give us soups here but I'm not complaining. When they don't give us soup they give us a plate full of rice and potatos as big as the volcano.
    Well that's all for this week folks. Sorry it wasn't more interesting. 
      
Love ya all PEACE!

Elder Rodriguez

Here is a picture of a fruit thing that you suck on the seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment